Our biggest joke at Otown Tan is that we deal spray tan crack. Once you get one session in our Pura Sunless you will never spray anywhere else again. It is the best spray tan you can get in Orlando.
Here are my tips on how to get the best spray.
1. Plan ahead - My favorite day of my spray tan is day 2. So, if I have an event on Saturday evening, I will spray Thur. night. I will spray in the evening, sleep in the spray, then shower the next morning. Friday the look is good, but the darkest. By Saturday the spray tan just fades slightly to be the most perfect color. It does not have to be 2 days ahead but that is the most ideal.
2. Prep - Moisturized skin looks better with a spray tan than dry skin, however you do NOT want to apply heavy lotion before your spray because it will block the solution from getting into your skin. I exfoliate with each shower a few days before, and apply heavy hemp Forever After lotion. This lotion has shea butter, hemp and makes the skin soft and perfectly prepped to take the tan. The day of the spray itself I will only lightly moisturize if I am showering a few hours before my spray. If I go spray tan right after my shower, I do not apply lotion.
3. Standing in the Unit - Keep the middle of your feet in the middle of the line between A and B (if you have never been in the Pura this will make sense when you see it). In the forward position roll your shoulders back and keep your hands directly behind the center line of your body. When the bar goes past your face lift you head slightly so the solution coats your neck. When it goes over your boobs, arch your back so it gets under your boobs (mine are bigger so this is necessary). In the backward position, roll your shoulders forward, keeping your arms behind the center line of your body with your hands in front of your stomach. When the machine goes past your butt bend down slightly so the solution gets all over your butt and below your butt cheeks, especially with these smaller bathingsuit bottoms so popular now.
3. Wiping and Blotting - This occurs after the spray tan. It is important to WIPE (we have baby wipes in the rooms) the palms of your hands, your fingernails, between your fingers and your inner wrist (no one has tan inner wrists). You also need to WIPE your toenails and between your toes. You do NOT need to worry about dark marks on your ankles like you do in other machines. The Pura stops above your ankles and the mist gets on your feet so they will not look overly dark, like they can in other spray tan machines. Now the BLOT. When I say blot, use the baby wipe and dab it (not wipe, just blot) on the tops of your hands, your knees and elbows. This does not remove the solution, it just lightens it in places your skin tends to me more dry, helping the color develop lighter and look more natural. Some people do not like their face as tan, in this case, we suggest you blot your face as well. When you get home after your spray tan, wipe your hands one more time. You may have subconsciously touched arms or face and have spray solution on your hands, this second wipe removes any chances of spray tan on your hands.
4. Maintenance - Upgrade and get the hydration spray with tan extender. This puts moisturizer on right after the spray solution locking in your tan and giving your skin instant chamomile, lemon extract, Vitamin E and green tea. It not only extends your tan, it also reduces odor, tones and tightens skin and feels great. When you get home it is important to moisturize daily when you have a spray tan. We sell a Pura Tan extending moisturizer that is made to specially moisturize spray tanned skin. It also has a small amount of Pura sunless tanning solution in it, to give a slightly daily boost and keep the spray tan longer.
5. Know when to rub - In Florida it can get quite hot. After your spray you can NOT get wet, sweat or shower for 8 hours after your tan. Sometimes I will get caught in a rainstorm, or be a hot sweaty mess for circumstances outside my control. If I get caught in a rainstorm, I will blot all over the areas that got wet so the tan is blended and no drop marks from the rain develop. If I get sweaty and start to see the tan developing unevenly (tends to happen on best under bra area...damn Florida and your 100 degree days) then I use the loofah and rub the area until it is all even. If you have an area on your hands your forgot to wipe we sell a Tan GO tan remover cloth. Lemon-water and bleach-water are other tricks to help remove spray tan on your hands. This should not happen, but if it does, use these easy tricks to fix your spray tan.
6. Don't be afraid to call OTown Tan - All our employees are avid spray tanners and can help you with any questions you may have, just give us a call at 407-601-5983.